Special teaching and laboratory staff categories
Appointment to Special Teaching Staff, Laboratory Teaching Staff and Special Technical Laboratory Staff positions takes place upon announcement for vacancies and selection of candidates by the department’s or school’s assembly or the senate - depending on the academic unit the position belongs to. The Internal Regulation of the Higher Educational Institution (HEI) determines the terms and conditions required for these positions’ announcement, as well as the staff’s selection procedure and periodic evaluation. The appointment is made by the rector.
Special Teaching Staff and Laboratory Teaching Staff members are obliged to be present at university grounds 22 hours minimum per week, divided to 4 working days at least. They offer all kinds of teaching and scientific-research work. Special Technical Laboratory Staff members are obliged to be present at university grounds 26 hours minimum per week. They offer specialized technical and laboratory services, which correspond to the standard qualifications of the position they hold and their specialized qualifications.
Special teaching staff
Special teaching Staff members carry out special educational-teaching work at higher education institutions (HEIs). This category consists of educational staff teaching foreign languages or Greek as a foreign language, physical education, design as well as other fine and applied arts.
The minimum qualifications required for appointment to Special teaching Staff member positions is the possession of an HEI degree and a doctoral degree, relevant to the cognitive field of the position to be filled.
Special teaching Staff positions belong to the HEI and are distributed to the departments, the schools or the institution by decision of the senate upon opinion of the rector, the deans or chairs of the departments. By decision of the department’s assembly Special teaching Staff positions can be distributed to sections according to their cognitive field.
Laboratory teaching staff
Laboratory Teaching Staff (EDIP) members carry out laboratory-applied teaching work at HEIs primarily involving laboratory, clinical and practical exercises in the relevant applied fields of sciences, as well as any form of scientific and research work. By decision of the department’s assembly or that of the appropriate body of the academic unit, Laboratory Teaching Staff members who are Phd holders, may be assigned independent teaching work, as well as the supervision of undergraduate and postgraduate theses.
Laboratory Teaching Staff members may:
- assume the scientific responsibility of projects/programs and participate for a fee in research, development and educational programs of the same or another HEI, provided that they fulfill their educational and other duties
- offer their services in university clinics, laboratories, or units established in National Health System or HEI hospitals, and be paid from the execution of this clinical work, as long as this does not interfere with their teaching duties
- exercise business activity related to their scientific area either individually or through a company, which is without, in any case, being assigned to the Laboratory Teaching Staff member’s commercial status.
- be paid by intellectual property rights.
The minimum qualifications required for appointment to Laboratory Teaching Staff member positions is the possession of an HEI degree and a master's degree, which are relevant to the subject of the position.
Laboratory Teaching Staff positions belong to the HEI and are distributed to the schools by decision of thechairs of the departments. By decision of the department’s assembly, Laboratory Teaching Staff positions can be distributed to sections according to their cognitive field, as well as in individual academic units, laboratories, clinics or museums.
Special technical laboratory staff
Special Technical Laboratory Staff members
pcarry out special a teaching task.
The minimum qualification required for appointment to Special Technical Laboratory Staff member positions is the possession of an HEI.
The specific qualifications required are specified in the position’s announcement.
Special Technical Laboratory Staff positions belong to the HEI and are distributed to the departments upon recommendation of the department chair.
By decision of the Assembly of the Department, the Special Technical Laboratory Staff positions, serving in the Department are distributed to the sectors, as well as to the individual academic units, laboratories, clinics or museums.
The administrative, financial and other services of the HEI are structured, in accordance with the Organization and the Ιnternal Regulations of the HEI, into organic units, General Directorates, Directorates, Sub-Directorates, Departments, independent and non-independent offices and institutionalized collective bodies.
According to law 4957/2022, the total number of organizational staff positions, their distribution by employment relationship, category, branch and specialty, as well as the standard qualifications for appointment or recruitment by branch and specialty and the general description of the duties of each position of responsibility, are determined in accordance with the Organization of the HEI.
The administrative staff is selected according to the provisions of law 2190/1994, and falls under the Administrative Civil Servants and Legal Entities under Public Law Employees Status Code.
The administrative staff is appointed by a rector’s act, which is published in the Government Gazette.
HEIs include a wide spectrum of units and services that support and enhance their educational, research and social role. In accordance with the provisions of law 4957/2022 each institution’s Organisation provides the establishment and operation, among others, of the following services per HEI.
- Center of research and innovation
- Teaching and Learning Support Center
- Equal Access Unit for people with disabilities and people with special educational needs
- Center for Psychological and Counseling Support
- ndependent office under the name "Student Advocate”.
University Research and Innovation Center
By decision of the Senate, a University Research and Innovation Center is established in each HEI, as an independent research unit, with the aim, among other things, to:
- conduct all kinds of research, strengthening the interdisciplinary research activities within the HEI and promote interdisciplinary excellence and innovation
- implement research or development projects/programs and conduct industrial research for companies and institutions,
- prepare studies and provide services to third parties, including public sector entities
- contribute to the specialization of the students or graduates of the first and second cycle study programs, as well as the doctors and post-doctorates of the ΗΕΙ in theoretical and applied areas of interdisciplinary subjects
- support the research groups of ΗΕΙ and contribute to the creation of a new generation of researchers with a high level of specific knowledge and interdisciplinary knowledge.
The activities of the Center are supported by individual research groups. The composition of each research group differs and may consist of:
- members of Teaching Research Staff , Special Teaching Staff, Laboratory Teaching Staff and Special Technical Laboratory Staff of HEI
- visiting Professors, cooperating Professors, visiting researchers, contract researchers, assigned lecturers and postdoctoral fellows,
- emeritus Professors and retired members of eaching Research Staff,
- research staff of other organizations and researchers of other research and technological organizations,
- doctoral candidates and first and second cycle students and
- additional research, scientific and laboratory staff.
Center for Counseling and Psychological Support
The Center for Counseling and Psychological Support has the mission to provide counseling and psychological support services and to prevent mental health problems for members of the university community, and in particular for students of first, second and third cycle study programs.
The Center is established in the city where the HEI is located and may establish branches in cities where other HEI academic units operate, as well as provide psychological support and counseling services using digital infrastructure and services.
The Center for Counseling and Psychological Support is staffed by a team of psychiatrists, psychologists and social workers.
Unit for the equal access of people with disabilities and people with special educational needs
In every Higher Education Institution (HEI) there is a Unit for the equal access of people with disabilities and people with special educational needs. The Unit has the mission of ensuring the full participation of the members of the university community who are people with disabilities and people with special educational needs, in all the educational, research and administrative activities carried out by the HEI.
The student advovate
The student advocate is the head of this independent office, without receiving payment and may be a professor or emeritus professor of the ΗΕΙ.
The student advocate is appointed by the senate upon opinion of the student care committee, for a one-academic year term, renewable for three more academic years.
The student advocate has the following responsibilities:
- Investigates cases, ex officio or following a student's report, and mediates with the institution's competent bodies for their resolution.
- Informs the institution's staff and students about the operation, responsibilities and mission of the Student Advocate
- Plans and coordinates training activities for the students and staff of the institution, in cooperation with other units of the institution, as well as with other institutions.
- Participates in the formulation of internal policies and the development of tools to strengthen integrity and transparency.
- Informs and collaborates with the administration bodies of the institution, for the development and implementation of integrity policies and standards within the institution.
A unified central library operates in each HEI as an independent and decentralized unit, under the name of "Library and Information Center".
The mission of the unified central library is to strengthen and support the educational and research activities of HEI, the staff and students of HEI
In particular, the single central library of A.E.I. has as objects, among others:
- the provision of scientific and research information and the operation as an Information Center for the members of the university community,
- the gathering of all information sources to which HEI has access. and their provision to the members of the Foundation,
- the collection and organization of the scientific work of the members of HEI through repositories, digital libraries and databases of scientific publications, as well as the display and promotion of the work produced,
- the contribution to the recovery, management, provision and distribution of specialized information to the wider national and international community,
The organization and operation rules of the institution's library are determined by the Internal Operating Regulations of HEI.