Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Other education experts or staff working in higher education


10.Management and other education staff

10.6Other education experts or staff working in higher education

Last update: 27 November 2023

Those employed in higher education institutions in positions other than lecturer, teacher or researcher help the professional work of the university or college in the fields of administration, finance and economic activity, technology, as well as by providing various services. 

Decisions for the methods of performing the above tasks, the organisational frames, as well as the regulations for these employees may be determined by the institutions themselves within the frames of the institutions, within the framework of the relevant legislation (Public Servant Act and its implementing decree, Higher Education Act (24.§ and 24/A §) and the Code of Labour), which shall be recorded in the organisational and operational rules and other documents of the institutions.

In state higher educational institutions, employees in positions requiring a higher education degree (e.g. legal adviser, economist, experts responsible for study matters, head of a functional unit of a higher education institution, etc.) work in the category of council administrator-expert, whereas those working in an administrative position not required to have a higher education degree are in the category of an administrative employee. In higher education institutions jobs to provide financial-economic, technical and other relevant professional and auxiliary services can be established. The above jobs can be directly assigned to a professional and organisational unit (e.g. such jobs requiring a higher education degree are the department engineer, department chemist, whereas jobs not requiring a higher education degree are technican, laboratory assistant), whose activities directly help teaching and education, and who participate in providing the conditions of education. Economic, technical and administrative officers with secondary educational attainment participate in the preparation of decision making, while administrative employees - also with secondary educational attainment - perform administrative work.

Employees working in the preparation of professional decision-making as public economic, technical and administrative staff, must have vocational qualification certifying at least secondary educational attainment, or secondary educational attainment and a certificate of higher vocational qualification, or college degree. The administrative assistant is an employee who performs administrative work and has at least basic or secondary educational attainment, and a specialised qualification built on it. As public servant jobs of a technician or laboratory assistant may be filled by those who have a vocational qualification requiring primary or secondary school attainment, or a certificate of tertiary vocational qualification (which does not mean a higher education degree), or a college-level vocational qualification in the specialisation, and directly helps the work of teachers and researchers in the teaching and researching laboratories, the practical training of students, and performs research sub-tasks.

The qualification of an employee who obtained his/her certificate in an industrial, agricultural or other technical school and has worked in the field according to his/her vocational qualification for at least 10 years shall be considered equivalent to a tertiary vocational qualification.

The staff and heads of the non-educational and other organisation units of higher education institutions are integrated in the organisation of the higher education institution the same way as the staff and management of the organisational units in education and research. For their employment, the specific laws of the concerned sector shall apply. Some well-being and recreation services are provided by a part of the institutions by means of outsourcing.