Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Other education staff or staff working in higher education


10.Management and other education staff

10.6Other education staff or staff working in higher education

Last update: 27 November 2023

Universities and universities of applied sciences themselves define and decide on the types of posts for people other than educational staff according to their needs.

Staff that can commonly be found in higher education institutions include assistants, researchers and advisers, for example. Assistants at universities belong to the research and teaching staff. They are generally involved in their own research projects, but may also have teaching duties. Universities also employ researchers. In addition, universities and universities of applied sciences have departmental or course secretaries, whose job descriptions vary from administrative duties to general educational guidance and teaching.

The duties of counselling officers or student advisers include providing advice on practical matters related to studies. Teacher tutors’ tasks, in turn, include provision of advice and support for students, etc.