Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Other education staff or staff working in higher education


10.Management and other education staff

10.6Other education staff or staff working in higher education

Last update: 27 November 2023

There is clerical and other administrative staff working in a number of services in the universities, such as:

• Academic affairs and student welfare services;

• Financial services;

• Human resource services;

• Information systems services;

• Library;

• Research and international relations services;

• Technical services;

• Promotion and development services (alumni relations, communication, development, events).


The personnel are appointed by the universities, but their conditions of service are those of a civil servant. The directors of these services are required to have postgraduate qualifications. Similar services operate in all other institutions of higher education.