Several laws and policy documents provide the basis for Validation of Non-formal and Informal Learning (VNFIL) in North Macedonia. These include the Law on National Qualification Framework (NQF), the Law on Adult Education, the Strategy on Education 2018-2025, the Strategy on Adult Education, the Strategy on Non-formal and Informal learning, and the “Roadmap for implementing a system for validation of non-formal and informal learning in the Republic of Macedonia” (MoES, EAC, 2016).
The Strategy on Education 2018-2025 (MoES, 2018) is the main strategic document on national level envisioning the development of the education sphere in the country for the period of eight years. The action plan contains a special part dedicated to adult education and non-formal education. Among the priorities in that section, the Strategy proposes establishing a validation system of non-formal and informal learning until 2020, having defined the following distinctive activities:
- Establishing a coordinating body for VNFIL;
- Development of procedures for VNFIL;
- Development of methodology for VNFIL;
- Piloting the validation system through three qualifications;
- Development of legal and financial basis for implementation of validation;
- Capacity-building and institutional support to implement VNFIL;
- Launching of campaign for awareness rising about validation, its opportunities and benefits.
The new Strategy on Adult Education 2017-2020 also aims at developing a system for validation of prior learning through four main areas of activities:
- Development of instruments and methodology for validation;
- Assessment of prior learning based on the national qualification framework;
- Development of an institutional framework for implementation of validation;
- Revision of the system of verification of training programmes and accreditation of institutions for adult education providers.