Definition of the Target Group(s)
The target group includes children of Roma and Egyptian population, as well as children with special educational needs in early development.
Specific Support Measures
In the field of early development, additional early intervention programmes are offered by resource centres which involve individual work and actions, as well as periods of stay ranging from a few days to fifteen days or a month.
Early Development Centres have been established as another service provided by resource centres, consisting of a special educator and rehabilitator and expert associates. These centres aim to encourage the development of children with special educational needs, teacher training for adapting the work environment and materials, trainings for parents and the interested members of public community. All kindergartens have been trained by resource centres for early recognition and adaptation to the needs of children (conditions, method of work). The resource centers provided training for the development of specialized and individualized teaching aids, conducted coaching, as well as a fair of assistive technology and customized teaching materials and resources in 7 schools with integrated departments - support centers at the local level.
The Strategy for Social Inclusion of Roma and Egyptians in Montenegro 2021-2025 has been adopted.
The Strategy recognizes the following performance indicators:
Performance indicator 1: Increase the percentage of Roma and Egyptian children attending an early childhood education program Performance indicator 2: Increase the percentage of members of the Roma and Egyptian community who have completed primary school Performance indicator 3: Increase the percentage of members of the Roma and Egyptian community who have completed secondary school Performance indicator 4: Increase the number of members of the Roma and Egyptian community enrolling in higher education institutions on an annual basis
The Strategy envisages the following measures, i.e. activities aimed at improving the position of Roma and Egyptians:
- introducing and strengthening the role of associates in the social inclusion of Roma and Egyptians in the field of education;
- providing free textbooks for children of Roma and Egyptian populations in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade of primary school;
- increasing the enrolment rate of Roma and Egyptian children in secondary school, with particular emphasis on girls;
- granting full exemption from pre-school education costs to children of Roma and Egyptian population;
- informing parents about the possibilities of enrolling children in schools where classes are carried out in Albanian language;
- organising winter and summer camps for the best students of Roma and Egyptian populations of 7th, 8th and 9th grades;
- education and training of parents;
- special measures aimed at reducing dropout rates;
- providing transportation for Roma and Egyptian children;
- organizing tutoring;
- promotional campaigns for enrolment in primary and secondary schools
Upon a public call, each year the Ministry awards scholarships to secondary school pupils of Roma and Egyptian population. For the 2022/2023 school year, 166 pupils and 14 students were awarded with scholarships. The amount of the scholarship is 60 euros for pupils and 225 euros for students.