Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Initial education for academic staff in higher education


9.Teachers and education staff

9.4Initial education for academic staff in higher education

Last update: 27 November 2023

Teachers/educational personnel

Higher Education Institutions (HEI:s) appoint their own teaching staff. Teachers at state universities, university colleges and university colleges of fine, applied and performing arts may be appointed as professors, associate professors, lecturers, senior lecturers, associate senior lecturers, post-doctoral fellows, part-time fixed-term teachers and guest lecturers (including visiting professors, lecturers and assistant lecturers).

Apart from the employment of professors and lecturers which is regulated by the Higher Education Act (Högskolelagen), the HEI:s themselves decide which teachers to employ. The universitiy, university college or university college of fine, applied and performing arts decides to what extent a position should focus on education, research (or development work in the arts for staff in the art field) and administration. Teaching staff from all categories has teaching duties in undergraduate education, however, post-doctoral fellows mainly carry out research.