Skip to main content
European Commission logo
EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Main providers


8.Adult education and training

8.3Main providers

Last update: 9 June 2022

There are 3 types of institutions that may implement adult education and training programmes:

  • General and vocational education schools, which can be either regular schools licensed for work with adults or schools specialised for adult education:

    • Primary schools;
    • General secondary schools;
    • Vocational secondary schools.
  • Public services are institutions founded by the Government and/or local authorities, which, alongside other goals and activities, offer some kind of training for adults. Some of the institutions of this type are set forth below:

    • The National Employment Service with its departments in 30 towns all over Serbia offers career guidance, organisation of professional internships, prequalification trainings, job search programmes and other kinds of training for the unemployed;
    • The Education Centre within the Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Serbia offers continuous adult education in the business and entrepreneurship areas;
    • The Centres for the Professional Development of Adults are located in 12 towns in various parts of Serbia. Their scope is the following: identification of labour market needs and educational priorities, collaboration with local authorities, schools and other relevant institutions, and proposals for adult education programmes and their implementation;
    • The National Agency for Regional Development provides different kinds of support for start-up companies and entrepreneurship on the local level, including professional development of adults.
  • Publicly recognised implementers may include nongovernmental organisations, cultural institutions, associations, open universities, career centres, consulting and training centres, private schools or any other institutions registered for educational programmes implementation, which means they have to be approved by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technological Development, as well as fulfil adult education standards as prescribed by the Law on Adult Education. When such standards are met, the institution receives a license which has to be renewed every 5 years.