Fundamental principles of national education system in the Republic of Albania are predicted in the Constitution of the Republic of Albania. It states that everyone has the right to access education and basic education is mandatory for all. It also guarantees in principle the autonomy of higher education institutions (HEIs).
Pre university education is regulated by the Law on pre-university education and its subsequent amendments and by the new strategy on education 2021-2026
The VET system is regulated by the law on VET and its subsequent amendments as well as by the “National Strategy for Employment and Skills 2021 2024”.
Higher education is ruled by the recently approved Law on higher education. The mission of higher education is:
- to create develop, send and preserve the knowledge through teaching and learning scientific research as well as to develop arts, physical education and sports;
- to form higher educated specialist and new scientists conform the country’s development priority in order to contribute to the increase of democracy standards in the country;
- to offer equal chances to benefit from higher education and lifelong learining; to contribute in socio-economic and cultural development at national, regional and international level
- to strengthen public and national security;
- to support strategic priorities and the interests of country development;
- to integrate teaching with scientific research and
- to increase international cooperation in the area of higher education.