- Master of Science degree [Master i Shkencave] or Master of Arts degree [Master i Arteve] (2 years, 120 ECTS), EQF 7d)
- Professional Master degree [Master Profesional] (1,5 years, 60-90 ECTS), EQF 7;
- Master of Science or Master of Arts degree in integrated study programmes of the second cycle [Master i Shkencave ose Master i Arteve në programme të integruara të studimeve të ciklit të dytë]. (5 or 6 years, 300 - 360 ECTS), mainly in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary studies, architecture and law, EQF 7;
- ‘Executive Master’ study programmes (Master Ekzekutiv), which offer a high-level scientific and professional education. It has a normal duration of one or two academic years and it is organised in 60 or 120 credits, EQF 8. They are finalized with a graduation thesis and in conclusion, the ‘Executive Master’ (Master ekzekutiv) degree is conferred for the relevant attended educational field.
Branches of Study
In Albania, the second cycle study programmes include:
- ‘Master of Science’ [Master i Shkencave] and ‘Master of Arts’ [Master i Arteve]
- ‘Professional Master’ [Master Profesional].
They correspond to level 7 of Albanian Framework of Qualifications and EQF 7.
Master of Arts and Master of Sciences have the same criteria and modalities in order to obtain a diploma of this level. The difference of these programmes consists in the fact that ‘Master of Arts’ degree is conferred by higher education institutions, which offer education in the area of arts while master of science from other institutions. These two study programmes provide the graduates with in-depth theoretical knowledge as well as with scientific research training in respective fields. These programmes cannot have less than 120 credits following the first cycle study programmes. Their normal duration is two academic years. They are completed with a graduation thesis and in the end ‘Master of Science’ degree is conferred for the relevant educational area.
Master programmes are divided into two categories:
- Programmes which are conducted with not less than 120 credits and with a normal duration of two academic years;
- Integrated study programmes with 300 and 360 credits and a normal duration of five and six academic years. These integrated study programmes in medicine, dentistry, pharmacy, veterinary, architecture and law (integrated study programmes in law are established by the new law of higher education and other bylaw acts.
Admission to the second cycle of study programmes is possible for those candidates that have completed a first cycle study programme. The admissibility criteria are set by the basic unit, which offers the programme and may slightly change from one higher education instituion to the other. Integrated study programmes are excluded from the present rule. The main unit and ESC set the criteria for the latter. Higher education institutions may recognize the credits acquired in ‘Professional Master’ second cycle study programmes, with the aim of transferring them to ‘Master of Science’ study programmes. Higher education institutions send to ESC the list of enrolled students at the beginning of the academic year.
It is important to note that one of the admission criteria to a Master of Science degree is the knowledge by the candidate of one out of five foreign languages of the European Union (English, French, German, Italian and Spanish), certified by internationally recognized examinations.
The curricula are developed at the institutional level. Study programmes consist of compulsory and optional subjects. The standard instruction language is Albanian, but the higher education institutions may organize examinations, some parts or an entire study programme in a minority language or another foreign language, which has to be declared by the HEI in the application submitted for licensing.
Higher education teachers have to organize their lectures in compliance with the curriculum but the teaching methods they use are not prescribed.
Progression of Students
Students can move on to the next year of studies once they have completed their obligations in terms of obtaining the sufficient number of ECTS as provided in the regulation of each HEIs.
The student can pass a particular exam at any time within the dates/periods scheduled in advance by each HEI. Regulations of each HEI provide for further promotion specifications of students.
Idem with the bachelor section on employability.
IDEM as bachelor cycle.
Professional Master, Master of Arts or Master of Sciences Diploma. The fist two programmes have a one year duration while the second has a two year duration.