In 2021, the Cabinet of Ministers approved Education Development Guidelines 2021-2027 “Future Skills for Future Society”.
The overarching goal of the strategy is:
To provide quality educational opportunities for all residents of Latvia in order to promote the development and realization of their potential throughout their lives and to develop their ability to change and responsibly manage constant changes in society and the economy.
Education development goals for every child and adult in Latvia are:
- Competent teachers and academic staff
- Modern and high-quality educational offer
- Support for everyone's growth
- Effective management of the education system and resources
Horizontal priorities of the strategy are:
- Governance of education quality
- Strategical development
Following sectors encompass the lifelong learning:
- General education
- Vocational education
- Higher education and
- Adult education.
Strategic priorities for general education are:
- Implementing and strengthening the competences approach
- Sufficient supply of teachers
- Strengthening inclusive education.
Strategic priorities of vocational education are:
- Strengthening of vocational education institutions as centers of excellence and innovation of economy sectors
- Development of flexible educational offer
- Effective and coordinated cooperation with economic sectors.
Higher education strategic development in 2021-2027 means:
- Quality and academic careers of academic staff provision
- Promoting excellence (quality monitoring, cyclical accreditation, institutional capacity building, etc.)
- Strengthening of governance (change of governance model, strategical approach, etc.)
Adult education strategic priorities in 2021-2027 are:
- Increasing participation in adult education
- Strengthening the quality and governance of adult education
- Development of a sustainable financing system for adult education
- Public-private partnerships for adult education
- Development of adults’ digital skills.