Requirements for appointment
Monitoring of educational quality at elementary schools is performed by the regional directorates(directions de région) under the authority of the Minister of Education.
According to the legislation, appointment at directions de région is subject to the following conditions:
- Heads(directeurs) have to hold a master diploma in a field related to elementary education, or a certification officially recognised as equivalent
- Heads(directeurs) and deputy heads(directeurs adjoints) must have served, for at least five years since their appointment, at a post of one of the following wage categories:
- Category A of the 'Education' section (see Code de la fonction publique, p. 191)
- Category A of the educational and psycho-social subsection of 'General administration' (see Code de la fonction publique, p.188)
- Leading function in national education.
(Code de l’Éducation nationale, chapter II, art. 35, p. 211)
Elementary education and secondary education
The Quality agency helps schools and lycées implement their quality approach. The ADQS is a department of the Education ministry’s Coordination service on research and pedagogical and technological innovation (SCRIPT; Service de coordination de la recherche et de l’innovation pédagogiques et technologiques).
The ADQS (Agence pour le développement de la qualité scolaire) Quality agency (Agence-qualité) helps schools and lycées implement their quality approach. The ADQS is a department of the Education ministry’s Coordination service on research and pedagogical and technological innovation (SCRIPT; Service de coordination de la recherche et de l’innovation pédagogiques et technologiques).
SCRIPT is managed by a head with the assistance of a deputy head.
SCRIPT staff members are civil servants and public employees working at career levels of government attaché, psychologist, sociologist or educationalist, or in the medium-career position of librarian-documentalist.
Civil servants of other administrations and services can be appointed to the SCRIPT. Upon request of the minister of Education, staff members of other State administrations and services may be seconded to the SCRIPT on full-time or part-time basis.
The service may also recruit employees and trainees according to its needs and budgetary limits.
Conditions of service
The heads and deputy heads of the regional directorates are civil servants working under the authority of the ministry of Education, Children and Youth. On application, they are assigned to the regions by the Minister.
Their conditions of resignation, retirement and professional development are specified in the Code of public administration.
Elementary and secondary education
Staff of the Quality agency work according to the conditions of service as specified in the Code of public administration.