Skip to main content
European Commission logo
EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Mobility in adult education and training


13.Mobility and internationalisation

13.3Mobility in adult education and training

Last update: 27 November 2023

Learner mobility

Mobility of adult learners is principally promoted in the field of higher education: study grants and loans (aide financière pour études supérieures) are available to learners independent of their age and the country of study. Adult learners may thus benefit from State grants and loans in order to pursue higher education abroad. These grants are managed by the Centre for documentation and information on higher education (CEDIES; Centre de documentation et d’information sur l’enseignement supérieur).

Furthermore, bachelor students studying at the University of Luxembourg –adult or not– are bound to study abroad for at least one semester. Exceptions can, however, be made for persons holding a working contract, suffering from an illness or having family obligations – see the University website for further details.

Diploma of secondary education and vocational qualifications are recognised by the Service for diploma recognition (Service de la reconnaissance des diplômes) of the mnistry of Education, Children and Youth (MENJE; ministère de l'Éducation nationale, de l'Enfance et de la Jeunesse).

Foreign higher education diplomas can either be recognised through registration in the Register of higher education certificates (registre de titres) or by being approved by the Ministry of Higher Education and Research (MESR; ministère de l’Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche). The approval procedure (homologation) is only required for certain professions.

Teacher and trainer mobility

Mobility of teachers and authorities is mainly promoted through EU programmes, managed by the national agency for the implementation of the Erasmus+ programme (Anefore). There are no additional national schemes in the sector of adult education.