Extension of Early Childhood Education and Care (ECEC) (Ausbau der Kinderbetreuungseinrichtungen) - new agreement
Regulation and legislative documents
Status: Agreement concerning 2022/23-2026/27 - childcare offensive until 2030
The main focus of these expansion efforts is on child care offerings for children under 3 years of age, promoting qualified child-minder offerings, and extending opening times during the year. Childcare places for 3 to 6-year-olds will also be funded in order to close regional gaps in childcare.
- focus on the expansion of institutional child care for children under the age of three
- flexibilisation and extension of opening hours
- impulses to improve the quality of care, especially the ratio of the number of children care by the number of kindergarten teachers
- promoting childminders as an alternative and supplement to kindergarten
- continuation of the non-contributory compulsory kindergarten for five-year-olds
- intensification and further development of language support
- obligatory teaching of values of Austrian society
- improved qualification of the qualified staff and specialized linguistic teachers
- focus on the transition from kindergarten to school
- definitions of a compulsory quality frame work through mandatory pedagogical documents and educational goals
Amount of funding:
The federal government will spend a total of 1 billion Euro on earmarked subsidies during the next five years.
Chancellor Karl Nehammer is aiming for a childcare offensive. Together with the federal states, 4.5 billion euros are to be made available by 2030 to close the childcare gap between one and three years of age.
The respective regional governments are responsible for monitoring compliance with the statutory obligations and supervising the staff and materials used in public kindergartens (nursing schools), which includes, among other things, a kindergarten inspectorate.
- Federal Ministry of Education, Science and Research
- Austrian Federal Minister for Women, Families, Youth and Integration
- Regional governments
- Private providers
Extension of ECEC - old agreement
There have been no reforms.