Three types of higher education in Luxembourg may be distinguished:
1. Higher education provided by the University of Luxembourg: bachelor programmes, master programmes, doctoral studies and a range of other provisions, such as secondary school teacher training. The University has three faculties:
- Faculty of Science, Technology and Medicine
- Faculty of Law, Economics and Finance
- Faculty of Humanities, Education and Social Sciences
2. Short-cycle provision (BTS programmes): vocational short-cycle programmes leading to an advanced vocational training certificate (BTS; brevet de technicien supérieur) currently proposed by a number of secondary schools (lycées). Programmes are accredited for a period of five years and have to correspond to the demand of the economy
3. Private and crossborder provisions: a series of private or foreign institutions have been accredited in order to provide higher education in Luxembourg. Some programmes are organised via crossborder partnerships, for example between foreign universities and Luxembourgish research institutes or professional chambers.
Institutions awarding national diplomas:
- The International University of Health, Exercise and Sport (Lunex University) : bachelor programmes and master programmes in sport, health and management
- The Luxembourg School of Business (LSB) offers a ‘Weekend MBA’ (Master of Business Administration).
Institutions awarding foreign diplomas:
- The Sacred Heart University Luxembourg, an American university specialised business management
- The Miami University Dolibois European Center (MUDEC) allows American and international students to study in the heart of Europe and maintain academic and socio-cultural links with the Grand Duchy and Europe.