Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Continuing professional development for academic staff working in higher education


9.Teachers and education staff

9.6Continuing professional development for academic staff working in higher education

Last update: 27 November 2023

There is no continuing professional training for teachers of higher education, although requirements are established for filling in each category. However, according to Article 77 of the University Higher Education Teaching Career Statute (Estatuto da Carreira Docente Universitária - ECDU), teachers may request exemption of educational activity for a period of one academic year, called sabbatical leave, without loss or injury of any of its rights, in order to conduct research or publish relevant work incompatible with the maintenance of their current teaching assignments.

The same applies to the professores coordenadores principais, coordenadores e adjuntos from the polytechnic higher education, in accordance with Article 36 of the Polytechnic Higher Education Teaching Career Statute (Estatuto de Carreira do Pessoal Docente do Ensino Superior Politécnico - ECPDESP).

Once finished the sabbatical leave, the HE teacher has to submit the results of his work to the scientific council of the HEI within two years.

Organizational aspects

The sabbatical leave is intended for professional development of teachers, focused on the study of teaching practices and organization and development of activities that contribute to improving the quality of education and teaching.

Incentives for participation in continuing professional development (CPD) activities

The sabbatical leave gives the teacher the possibility to continue his professional development, without the pressure of the teaching activities and without prejudice to the privileges inherent to the performance of activities, such as compensation and counting working time, for all legal purposes. After ending the sabbatical leave, the teacher must provide to the scientific council, to the maximum term of two years, the results of his work. Otherwise, he must replace the amounts earned during that period (Article 77 (3) of ECDU and Article 36 (4) of ECPDESP).