This chapter provides a thematic and chronological overview of national reforms and policy developments since 2020.
The introduction of the chapter describes the overall education strategy and the key objectives across the whole education system. It also looks at how the education reform process is organised and who are the main actors in the decision-making process.
The section on ongoing reforms and policy developments groups reforms in the following broad thematic areas that largely correspond to education levels: Early childhood education and care; School education; VET and Adult learning; Higher education; and Transversal skills and Employability. Inside each thematic area, reforms are organised chronologically. The most recent reforms are described first.
Overall national education strategy and key objectives
Over the last couple of years strategic document have been adopted in an effort to meet the requirements of European educational standards and the rising demands of modern life. Among their major goals are:
- Raising the overall quality of education
- Linking educational programs with the actual needs of the economy
- Ensuring equal access to education for people from all social and economics backgrounds
- Maintaing favourable conditions for the practical implementation of the Lifelong Learning concept
- Involving young people in the development of sectoral policies
- Transforming Bulgaria into a knowledge and innovation-based economy