Skip to main content
European Commission logo


EACEA National Policies Platform:Eurydice
Institutions Providing Adult Education and Training


8.Adult Education and Training

8.1Institutions Providing Adult Education and Training

Last update: 23 June 2022

There are a variety of private, state, in-company, non-profit and profit-oriented CET providers. These include, for instance:

  • public providers (e.g. universities, universities of applied sciences, universities of teacher education, colleges of professional education and training, and VET schools),
  • private, profit-oriented providers,
  • companies,
  • private, not-for-profit providers (e.g. non-profit organisations, adult education centres, parent education organisations etc.),
  • social-partnership-based, political or denominational or non-denominational providers (professional organisations, trade unions, national churches etc.),
  • associations and umbrella organisations,
  • CET in self-organised groups.

The vast majority of CET institutions are privately operated and privately funded. Some state support may be provided, depending on the context in which CET takes place. In the field of job-related CET, companies play a key role, either by offering in-company CET courses, or by participating in the CET of their staff.

The Federation for Adult Education (SVEB), the umbrella organisation for adult education and training, promotes cooperation among CET providers, raises public awareness for continuing education and training, and promotes optimum framework conditions in continuing education and training. With the eduQua label in 2000 the SVEB created the first Swiss quality label serving quality assurance in the field of continuing education and training. eduQua is a Swiss quality certificate which certifies continuing education and training institutions on the basis of various criteria and minimum requirements. In many cantons the eduQua certificate is considered a prerequisite to obtaining public funding. 

The SVEB has also developed a three-stage certification process for trainers in adult education. Those involved in CET can obtain a Certificate SVEB, a Federal PET Diploma or a Advanced Federal PET Diploma.