Professional development of the teaching staff in higher education is accomplished through the following types of programmes:
- Documentation and experience exchange at national and international level
- Specialisation and inter-university cooperation in the country and abroad
- Post-university education
- Scientific research and technological development accomplished in the country or through international cooperation
- Educational innovation, scientific, technical and artistic creation.
Incentives for participation in continuing professional development (CPD) activities
In order to encourage and facilitate participation to in-service teacher training programmes as well as the professional development of the teachers, the following support measures are set by the law for permanent teachers, regardless their age and seniority.
Special leave for in-service teacher training and professional development
- 3 years not-paid leave in a 7-year interval – for specialisation or research activity in the country or abroad (own initiative; subject to the approval of the management of the higher education institution; teaching post is reserved and the period counts for seniority)
- 1 year not-paid leave once every 10 years (own initiative; subject to the approval of the management of the higher education institution; teaching post is reserved; the period counts for seniority only if during the leave-period the teacher performs educational activities)
- 12 months paid leave every 7 years for associate professor and professor finalising researches, papers or studies as part of the research programme of the higher education institution (subject to the approval of the university senate; teaching post is reserved and the period counts for seniority)
- 6 months paid leave for one time during the entire career for elaborating the doctoral thesis or papers in the interest of education – based on publishing or research contracts (subject to the approval of the university senate; teaching post is reserved and the period counts for seniority).
Financial support for participating to in-service teacher training programmes
- Cost for transportation and accommodation and per diem are covered for teachers sent by the higher education institution to in-service training programmes or scientific events
- Cost for transportation and participation are integral or partially covered for teachers participating to scientific events organised abroad.
The diploma de doctor is a requirement for access to teaching positions: lector universitar/șef de lucrări, conferenţiar universitar and profesor universitar.